6 Credits (ECTS)
Airline Business Models
Candidates will be taught to appreciate the critical role of choice of business models in the function of achieving the best possible market fit. At face value the choice is apparent between three distinct airline business models resulting from deregulation and liberalisation in the major aviation markets. Candidates will be able to recognize the significant characteristics of each and thereafter how to exploit respective strengths and opportunities. The module will, moreover, examine the air transport industry on the premise that there is now a continuum of different business models at play rather than a clear categorization. Case studies will place different role model airlines within a spectrum of different business models. Differing environmental impacts of alternative airline business models will be highlighted in the context of the ‘flight shaming’ movement
Candidates who apply for this course must possess one of the following:
- a Level 6 degree and 3 years’ work experience,
- a Level 5 diploma or higher diploma, and 5 years’ work experience in a managerial role.
Preference is given to applicants having a Level 6 degree in a discipline related to air transport management, and a minimum of 3 years’ work experience in management within the air transport industry.
This course is targeted at local market groups and their foreign counterparts:
- Cockpit crew (pilots), primarily the Air Malta cohort and the Ryanair base crew;
- Malta International Airport staff;
- MATS staff (air traffic controllers);
- MRO staff (maintenance, repair and overhaul, including Lufthansa Technik, SR Technics and Medavia).
The programme aims to prepare you for middle to senior-level posts in the air transport industry, such as: senior operations manager, sales manager, project manager, head of department and managing director of any air transport organisation, both in the private and public sector.
How you’ll be assessed
The course comprises:
- 6 lectures per module;
- 3-hour lectures (evening);
- 12 hours of online content per module, comprising asynchronous online discussions, tutorials and/or videos.
Module Intake Dates
Reading for the entire Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Air Transport Management as presented in this brochure costs $10,450.*
Due to the modular structure of the course, you may also opt to take individual modules as stand-alone. The entry requirements still apply.**
*Prices are applicable to students who reside in the UAE at the time of applying.
** For the price of individual modules, please contact the IDEA Academy team.